The World's Best Pancakes
Makes 10 -12 small pancakes
75ml organic unsweetened soy milk or other dairy free milk (unsweetened)
50g almond flour
50g chickpea or gram flour
2tbsp milled flaxseed
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
2tbsp apple puree
1 ripe banana, peeled
1/2tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Olive oil or coconut oil
For Apple puree
Roughly chop 600-700g desert apples, washed (do not peel)
Place in a saucepan with 50mls of water. Cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for about 30-40 minutes or until apples will turn into a puree. Store in a glass container. It will keep in a fridge for about 2 weeks.
1. Put almond flour, chickpea flour, milled flaxseed, cinnamon (if using) and soda in a large bowl. Mix everything together.
2. In a separate small bowl using a folk mash the banana until puree consistency.
3. Add the mashed banana, stewed apple, milk and vanilla to the bowl. Whisk everything together until you have a lovely smooth batter.
4. Place a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, add a little olive oil.
5. Using a tablespoon scoop the mixture from the bowl and add one spoonful at a time to the pan. Leave space between pancakes so they have room to spread out slightly. You will need to work in batches.
6. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the base is golden, then carefully flip them over.
7. When the pancakes are golden on both sides, remove to a plate and keep warm.
Serve with stewed mixed berries. This time of year, I use frozen berries.