Hummus is made from chickpeas and contains 993mcg of phytoestrogens per 100g making it a great choice. It's ideal for snacking on with vegetables and provides a healthy and balanced way to add more phytoestrogens into your diet.
200g canned chickpeas
2 tbsp lemon juice (or more to taste) 2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
4 tbsp water
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1. Drain the chickpeas and rinse in cold water.
2. Reserve a few while chickpeas for serving.
3. Put the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini and water in a food processor and blend to a purée.
4. Add more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt to taste. Use an additional splash of olive oil and a little water to loosen the consistency if you like.
5. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and scatter with the reserved chickpeas.
Sprinkle with paprika an serve with crudites or flaxseed crackers.