BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES - GLUTEN, DAIRY AND SUGAR FREE
These buckwheat pancakes are simple to make and a great way to start the day. Ideal for sharing!
300ml coconut or almond milk or other milk of your choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 ripe banana, peeled
2 tablespoons apple puree
Pinch of sea salt
For Apple puree
Roughly chop 600-700g desert apples, washed, unpeeled and cored
Place in a saucepan with 50mls of water. Cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for about 30-40 minutes or until apples will turn into a puree. Store in a glass container. It will keep in a fridge for about 1 week.
1. Place buckwheat flour in a large bowl, add milk, salt, bicarbonate of soda, vanilla extract, egg and apple puree and mix everything together.
2. In a separate bowl using a folk mash the banana until puree consistency.
3. Add the mashed banana to the bowl with the rest of ingredients. Whisk everything together until you have a lovely smooth batter.
4. Place a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot, add a little olive oil.
5. Add a few ladles of batter to the pan, leaving space between each one so they have room to spread out slightly – each ladle full will make one pancake, and you’ll need to work in batches.
6. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the bases are golden, then carefully flip them over.
7. When the pancakes are golden on both sides, remove to a plate and keep warm.
8. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding a little more oil to the pan between batches, if needed.
9. Serve the pancakes while they’re still hot, with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, your choice of fresh berries and apple puree